Re: Don't fix it if it ain't broken

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:57:01AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > Yeah, well, it may be needed in a self compiled kernel from the
> > kernel-source-2.6.8, where the user like to set it, don't you think ?
>
> In fact, I don't.

Well, in fact i faced the problem myself when i wanted to set a default
command line for some installer initrd i was working on. I also got at least
one report from a user who was hit by this bug.

> > So, you advocate shipping a broken command line support on chrp/pmac
> > because you are too lazy or uninterested to pursue the proper fix to
> > your prep issue.
>
> I have stated quite clearly what I advocate.  Also, I have - several
> times, in fact - asked for help with forward porting the assembler
> chunks of the bootargs patch [1], which is all that is missing for
> that proper fix.  Until I get a response, or find the time to dig it
> myself, I'll just let the issue rest.

Yeah, i personally feel that the bootargs patch may not be the best solution
though, and that a recompilation of the incriminated object file in mkvmlinuz,
or an elf manipulation of it maybe, would be preferable over modifying the
linked kernel.