Re: powerpc kernel-patch 2.6.6-5 in incoming since over a month !!!

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 02:21:30PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sven Luther writes:
>
> > Thanks for your input on this, Manoj.
>
> Yep.
>
> > you loose the capacity of depending on a bootloader though, unless
> > we do a quik | yaboot | mkvmlinuz | <nothing> kind of thing. Don't
> > believe if <nothing> is possible though.
>
> It is.  Don't add a dependency at all.

Jens, this is one thing we disagree with, and i am at a lose at what i
might do which will convince you. As the recent post on debian-powerpc
showed, the current policy will only result in unbootable kernels on non
pmac systems, as mkvmlinuz was not installed there before, and
furthermore, contrary to yaboot and quik, mkvmlinuz is not really a boot
loader, but a way to finish the build of the kernel on a given subarch.

Anyway, let's go ahead, and remove the dependency on any boot loader
from the make-kpkg generated package, and i know you volunteered to deal
with the mess that will result from that.