Re: powerpc kernel-patch 2.6.6-5 in incoming since over a month !!!

Dear Sven,

> But in general, this is something that is not acceptable, and i hope
> never happens again.  One week is still long for this sort of
> things, but acceptable, but one month is definitively to long.

TINC :)

> I will send you a USB uhci fi later today,

Cool.

> basically, one could use the postinst_hook to call a little script
> which calls itself mkvmlinuz.

Yes.

> Now, the question is, how do we automatically add the postinst_hook to
> kernel-img.conf,

I don't think we are allowed to fiddle with /etc/kernel-img.conf at
all, since it doesn't belong to us.  In fact, it doesn't belong to any
package.

> which package would provide the script,

We already have mkvmlinuz.

> and where do we test for when it is needfull to generate such a
> file.

There already is a warning in NEWS.Debian.  We could move this to the
postinst and output it if the subarch matches - similar to the current
handling of a missing do_initrd=yes line if an initrd kernel is
installed.  But then again, some people don't even bother to read a
warning that passes by during postinst, so maybe this should be part
of the debconfiscation of kernel-package.

> prep is not yet supported, or did you change that recently).

Unfortunately, it turned out that most of the boxen I picked up are
not PReP but MCA.  And I haven't had time to look at the Thinkpad 860
yet.

> Well, 2.6.7 packages would be cool,

The preliminary packages can be found in the usual location,

 deb http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~jens/kernel-patch-powerpc ./
 deb http://www.theorie.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~jens/mol-modules ./

They are currently based on linux-2.6.7.tar.bz2 from kernel.org with
all Debian patches applied, which means the tainted drivers are still
included.  Before I can upload anything, I need a kernel-source-2.6.7
package or at least a prune script.

> especially since they fix a security bug,

Only for i386 and amd64.

> and thus should replace the 2.6.6 kernels quickly enough,

IMHO, 2.6.6 should be replaced by 2.6.7 as quickly as possible in any case.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!