Re: NMU: kernel

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 09:17:38AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig writes:
>
> > What's the problem with a single source package again?
>
> A new upload will trigger the autobuilders and result in new
> kernel-image packages for all architectures, even if the change only
> affects a single architecture.  This means that kernel packages that
> have not been tested at all on some platforms will be let into
> unstable.

I don't believe this is an issue. It would be trivial to exempt the
kernel from being autobuilt, on a buildd-by-buildd basis[1].

This way, one could skip 'known-bad' versions for a specific
architecture and/or have the arch maintainers upload the packages
manually.

Probably harder would be to tune testing to let only specific arches of
one kernel version into testing, as I believe packages propagate to
testing by source packages.

One possibilty would be to manually push kernel images into testing once
their respective arch maintainer as declared them stable (as has been
done for debian-installer until recently). Other possibilities would
probably include hacking the testing scripts to special-case kernels.

That's just pointing out my technical POV, without commenting on the
social 'multiple-vs-single-source-package' problem.

Michael

--
[1] Well, perhaps not trivial, as it might include getting some
kernel-image-* wildcarding, but I am sure the buildd people will be