Re: NMU: kernel

Hi,

Martin Michlmayr writes:

> with the changes in the kernel maintenance, I hope to get non-i386
> and non-alpha kernels maintained more closely - basically what
> happend in the past was that Herbert uploaded a new source package
> plus i386 and alpha image, and then other kernels started to work.
> With the new team, I hope that everyone will work together much
> closely, with one code repository where kernel maintainers can
> commit changes.  Ideally, these changes will also be pushed upstream
> (if applicable), and having more upstream people on board will be
> helpful for this.

Let's not be hasty.

IMHO, the existing process is an example of very good and efficient
cooperation.  What we need foremost is a process that gets a new
release from kernel.org into Debian unstable as quickly as possible.
Right now, the process involves two stages - one kernel-source source
package create an arch-independent kernel-source binary package, from
which a number of arch-specific kernel-{patch,image} source packages
create the kernel-image packages.  This works remarkably well, and
therefore I suggest it stay this way.

To the problems.

The various source packages are kept in different locations, and only
come together in the archive itself.  A central repository would be
nice - as long as it does not bear the restriction of allowing only
one source package.

Patches are rarely propagated in the opposite direction.  If an
arch-specific patch works on all architectures, it should be moved
from kernel-patch-<arch> to kernel-source.  If Linus happens to like a
patch from kernel-source, it will enter the tree on kernel.org
eventually.  Both testing arch-specific patches elsewhere and getting
Linus' attention on Debian-specific patches requires time and
dedication.  Therefore reinforcements, even if they are not DDs, are a
good thing.

Right now, there are ten kernel-source packages in testing, seven of
which are clearly obsolete.  To get rid of them, kernel-image packages
should be removed from unstable as soon as a new version enters, and
kernel-source packages should be removed from unstable as soon as no
more kernel-image packages depend on them for building.  Plain and
simple.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!