Re: Debian non-x86 kernel arches

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 05:44:40PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > The via changes are almost guaranteed to break on x86.  Any reason you
> > can't simply assign the irqs in the arch-specific pci fixups code so
> > the driver doesn't need to mess it?  That's the way we usually deal
> > with broken plattforms in linux.
>
> Sure, that would be the right way i guess. I promise to do it once i get
> time allotment for that again, in the meantime the current code works
> and is of use to the pegasos users, so why keep it out.

Because collecting random cludges becomes a maintaince horror long term.
I've spent half of yesterday splitting kernel-patch-debian apart and
reviewing all parts, checking for correctnes, sending upstrea, etc..

That's lots of vasted effort that simply wouldn't be needed if people
properly worked with upstream the first time.

> > Which driver is that?  Have you talked to Ralf Baechle to get your
> > changes tested on mips?
>
> The discovery II is a northbridge controller which has a mips and ppc
> version, and includes a gigabit ethernet controller, which has a (not
> sure it is working though) driver for mips in 2.4. I am right now more
> interested in having it working on ppc before contacting the mips folk
> though about this, all in due time.

Is it really that difficult not trying to break others?  Even if it's
a big ifdef wankfest it's not that difficult to make sure the driver
is still working and can be sent to a mips person to test it.  Nevermind
talking to them would be more than helpful to find out whether they have
a more recent version, etc..

> > This is what really *fucking* annoys me.  This I'm lazy and unable to
> > talk to someone else mentality that get us tons of cludges instead of
> > working together.
>
> Well, since you started this thread doing the same, you can hardly blame
> me for it. Seriously though, i don't see what is your annoyance. It is a
> matter of work priority, and upto recently, it was more important to
> make sure the powerpc debian kernel worked on something else than just
> powermacs, and that debian-installer worked fine on powerpc.

Huh?  I complained that you don't get out of your little
kernel-patch-powerpc world.  That would certainly not be less annoying
if I didn't start that thread.  Which I didn't, btw..

> > It's pretty simple.  By doing work right from the beginning.  If you do
> > thing sane from the start you'll have to care far less afterwards.
>
> Yeah sure, patches are welcome then :)
>
> And BTW, maybe the time you spent advocating a new centralized kernel
> package maintenance would have been better spent helping solve some of
> the known issue in the current powerpc kernel, and i didn't see you send
> us patches or try to help out on that account.

Feel free to send forward bugs for filled against your
kernel-image-powerpc forward upstream.  I'll pick those where I'm
knowledgeable enough to help.