Re: Debian non-x86 kernel arches

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 05:18:56PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, i need to cleanup still the via-ide driver kludge i have there.
> Still, i believe it breaks nothing on ppc since we probably are the only
> one using via-ide there, but i wouldn't bet on that this kludge would
> ever be accepted in the mainline kernels, nor that it would not break
> stuff on non-ppc (well, x86 mostly).

The via changes are almost guaranteed to break on x86.  Any reason you
can't simply assign the irqs in the arch-specific pci fixups code so
the driver doesn't need to mess it?  That's the way we usually deal
with broken plattforms in linux.

> More problematic will be the upcoming gigabit ethernet patch for the
> discovery II, which break the existing (2.4) mips driver.

Which driver is that?  Have you talked to Ralf Baechle to get your
changes tested on mips?

This is what really *fucking* annoys me.  This I'm lazy and unable to
talk to someone else mentality that get us tons of cludges instead of
working together.

> This should be
> ok for a debian/ppc patch, but not for the mainstream kernel. Naturally,
> more work needs to be done to have this integrable upstream, but well, i
> guess you also don't know the answer on how to make the day have more
> hours, do you ?

It's pretty simple.  By doing work right from the beginning.  If you do
thing sane from the start you'll have to care far less afterwards.