Re: Debian non-x86 kernel arches

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 05:00:45PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 04:38:34PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, it is a nice tentative, but ppc needs still the pegasos patches,
> > as well as the apus ones, and it is a nice possibility to be able to add
> > stuff without really worrying about breaking stuff on non ppc arches.
>
> except for an easily ifdefable driver change pegasos doesn't touch
> anmything outside arch/ppc.  But again, why the heck are the pegasos
> patches good enough for debian but not in mainline?

Well, i need to cleanup still the via-ide driver kludge i have there.
Still, i believe it breaks nothing on ppc since we probably are the only
one using via-ide there, but i wouldn't bet on that this kludge would
ever be accepted in the mainline kernels, nor that it would not break
stuff on non-ppc (well, x86 mostly).

As to respond why they are good enough for debian patches and not for
mainline, i would respond that i am both the pegasos upstream and the
debian maintainer (with Jens now) of the ppc kernels, and i take
responsibility for these patches, something i cannot say for the
mainline kernels. Part of this i tried to get in through benh, but he
didn't have the time for this, so ...

More problematic will be the upcoming gigabit ethernet patch for the
discovery II, which break the existing (2.4) mips driver. This should be
ok for a debian/ppc patch, but not for the mainstream kernel. Naturally,
more work needs to be done to have this integrable upstream, but well, i
guess you also don't know the answer on how to make the day have more
hours, do you ?

> > Usually the right way to have things integrated upstream is through the
> > upstream linuppc kernels folk.
>
> Fortauntely for 2.6 the linuxppc trees are dead and work is happening
> in mainline.

Yep, now, next step would be integration of the apus patches :)