Re: kde 4.3.4 is building for unstable now ;-) [OT] nvidia-installer Vs m-a

El Domingo 13 Diciembre 2009 01:11:53 Modestas Vainius escribió:

> Well, what you helps you is that you are experienced enough user to be able to
> deal with all bad side effects of nvidia installer.

No, not really a very experienced user, honestly.
What helps me is that Nvidia installer has never caused any problem on my machines nor has it taken from my scarce -and worth being spent in more interesting things- time more than a minute or two.
I would spend more time on dealing with m-a, GCC versions, xorg.conf & al. and praying to several gods from all over the world for m-a installing process to work -direct rendering included- at the first attempt, if I'd see a clear, doubtless remarkable, benefit, but honestly all those messes you mention, by the official installer... I only can say that I have not had any issue at all; and using the Debian way to install some, still closed, drivers doesn't even satisfy my sympathy for the Debianish "ideology", which might be a good reason, O.T.H.

> Nvidia installer generally causes:
>
> 1) System pollution with libraries and other files some of which might not be
> needed.

Like might not be needed Cups, Vim, Ed, and some other apps and libraries that are installeed by default, and I manually have to purge right after "netinstalling" my basic system (since I use Nano and don't even have a printer), or just put up with them in order to not breaking something. Not to talk about that "obesity inducer" habit that kernel hackers have including every driver on earth, in it.
What I mean with these examples is that I suppose some pollution is the price to pay if one wants a comfortable Linux system instead of compiling by hand or dealing with more "harsh", even if "KISS", distros. Less pollution as possible is always a good practice, yes, and some inevitable pollution doesn't mean we have to include even more, but from my Nvidia-problems-free experience, it's not worth the complication when after all, we aren't going to get a perfectly unpolluted system.

> I've already had a "pleasure" to help users clean up system from the
> mess caused by nvidia installer a couple of times. Believe me, it was not fun

I do believe you and all others who don't like Nvidia installer; I've never put into doubt your points; but, once again, I honestly just can say that the official installer has always worked perfectly and fast for me, I even remember being unable to make drivers a la Debian work correctly on one of my old machines, and ending up installing the official driver which worked perfectly, that's how I began to like it.
I also can't believe that all of those who use the official installer have experienced bad issues; if they have, obviously should switch to the Debian way inmediately. No, I think that most of Nvidia installer users just have an experience as good as mine.
Ironic enough, I have had more porblems in other computer with ATI free drivers and Xorg libraries a copule of months ago (cause identified thanks to your kind guidance, Modestas, by the way).

The official installer is an option more. All in all, we have not to forget that their drivers are still as closed as always, no matter which method we use to install them. A different subject would be if there were open and totally functional drivers, or Nvidia changes its policy, but it seems frogs will grow hair before that.

Bye.