Re: kde 4.3.4 is building for unstable now ;-) [OT] nvidia-installer Vs m-a

Hi Manolete!

Am Sonntag 13 Dezember 2009 schrieb Manolete, ese artista:
> > I've already had a "pleasure" to help users clean up system from the
> > mess caused by nvidia installer a couple of times. Believe me, it was
> > not fun
>
> I do believe you and all others who don't like Nvidia installer; I've
>  never put into doubt your points; but, once again, I honestly just can
>  say that the official installer has always worked perfectly and fast
>  for me, I even remember being unable to make drivers a la Debian work
>  correctly on one of my old machines, and ending up installing the
>  official driver which worked perfectly, that's how I began to like it.

I get the impression that you want to believe that the nvidia installer is
the better way for you to install nvidia drivers so *badly* that there is
no point in arguing anymore. All I can suggest is to at least try the
Debian way once again - after you didn't for three years. And if things
are still too complicated for you, consider writing an enhancement
request. But I really suggest that you open your mind for the
*possibility* that the debian way might fit your needs better than the
nvidia installer.

Just one more note:

The Debian way packages do not add that much when you compare it to the
usual build stuff that you need to build the nvidia driver anyway.

shambhala:~> apt-cache show nvidia-glx | grep Depends
Depends: nvidia-kernel-190.42, x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0), libc6 (>= 2.1.3),
libx11-6, libxext6

shambhala:~> apt-cache show nvidia-kernel-source | grep Depends
Depends: debhelper (>> 4.0.0), make, sed (>> 3.0), dpatch (>= 2.0.0)

shambhala:~> apt-cache show module-assistant | grep Depends
Depends: perl, libtext-wrapi18n-perl

shambhala:~> apt-cache show kernel-package | grep Depends
Depends: build-essential, make (>= 3.80-10), po-debconf, gettext, file,
debianutils (>= 2.30), binutils (>= 2.12), util-linux (>= 2.10o), module-
init-tools (>= 0.9.10)

I really love module-assistens, but now at least for the virtualbox-ose
package even DKMS is used in testing/unstable and lenny-backports, so that
the kernel module is autobuild on each upgrade. That might be a suggestion
for the NVidia team ;-).

Ciao,