Re: desktop effects on PowerPC

Am Donnerstag 10 September 2009 00:06:06 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
>   Hello:
Hello
First of all, thanks a lot for your perfect support-mail, I think you can use
this as a template for future problems (if it isnt already).

>   This doesn't seem a KDE problem, graphics driver/X one, so now on we'll
>  be OT on this list.
Youre right. Its an X/radeon problem. So sorry for being OT and not
investigating enough.
So, the rest is just FYI (or for PPC users' Info).

Below this I wrote a long email to reply, but:

Yippieh! I did it.

I found out what went wrong. What was missing was:
aptitude install firmware-linux

In that package is the r300 firmware. I noticed, that dmesg told me that the
machine wasnt able to load firmware r300 ... , because it wasnt there...
Sorry, I didnt know that it existed... (so dont think Im a dumbass ;) )
I havent seen any hint pointing to that package/firmware, since I inspected
dmesg output and searched google for that message)

So here comes a working kde 4 effects-working xorg.conf for
model           : PowerBook5,4
ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

My new xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option      "EnablePageFlip"        "on" # dont know if this is needed
    Option     "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
EndSection
Section "Extensions"
    Option      "Composite" "Enable"