Re: howto break up the desktops--sharing applets

On Thursday 10 September 2009 18:39:51 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 September 2009 14:33:21 David Baron wrote:
> > Applets that are on the panel are shared in different desktops. Is there
> > any way to share non-panel plasmoids rather than have different instances
> > of say, trashcan, home, etc. Of course, if I want different colors or
> > such, I need different instances, but common stuff should be sharable.
>
> Widgets are isolated to their containment.  The panel(s) are one
>  containment. Each activity is a separate containment.  It is (or used to
>  be) possible to change desktop (collection of applications) and activity
>  (collection of widgets) separately.  Note that, when using such an option,
>  the wallpaper is associated with the containment, so it changes when you
>  switch activity, not when you switch desktop.

OK, time for some clarification of desktops (and their names) vs. activities.
The UI was very easy to mess up (and as I said, five activies over four
desktops yielded unpredictable results at re-logon). Implied in this post is
that I could somehow assign activities (and their containments) at will to any
of the desktops (and presumably get back there on re-logon, change this, and
so forth...). Very versatile, maybe overkill for the functionality, and needs
a simple, consistant UI, zoomed IN.

The only thing that I found manageable zoomed out was to set separate desktop
activities. The zoomed out screen was slow, difficult to navigate--I did
finally figure it out so I could get back to desktop-1 and zoom in :-)

I have not played with dashboards (which I assume are another containment for
applets, most useful when using a folder-containment for a desktop or as one
more place for common applets among various desktops (or is that
activities...?). Maybe some dashboard vs. panel clarification also needed
since the only thing panel would have and dashboard not is place for panel
applets (but should these be changed to plasmoids at some point?).