Re: desktop effects on PowerPC

El Domingo, 6 de Septiembre de 2009, drz escribió:
> Hi there
>
> I got a problem here with desktop effects on 4.3.1 on a Powerbook g4
>  (powerbook 5,4 / ATI Technologies Inc RV350 Mobility Radeon 9600 M10).
>
> If I activate desktop effects the x-server crashes without a possibility to
> recover, because I cant change to tty (via alt ctrl f1), no reaction from
> keyboard.
> Thee is an striped artifact instead of the mouse-pointer icon, thats the
>  only symptom, I can tell of. No log entries in xorg.log nor messages or
>  syslog...
>
> Same problem with kde 4.2.2. No effects since 4.1.
>
> Compiz is working. So compositing is working fine, I guess.
> But I cant set compositing to active in system settings -> desktop.
>
> fyi: Im using radeon-driver, because there is no fglrx for PowerPC.
> xserver-xorg = 7.3+20
> xserver-xorg-core = 1.4.2-11
>
> Is it possible to get effects to work with radeon driver?
>
> Anybody got desktop effects working on a powerbook g4??
>
> I can provide any further info if needed & possible.
>
> greetz
> drz

  Hello:

  This doesn't seem a KDE problem, graphics driver/X one, so now on we'll be
OT on this list.

  In theory not that much changes between PPC and x86 archs from the user
point of view. In order to get a graphical card running you need kernel
support, and xorg driver support (this is for 2D), For 3D you also need mesa
support. Mind that this statement may be inaccurate or too simplistic, but
let's start from here.

  ATI free drivers(xorg) work quite well, even the lenny version may work with
your model, but once you need best performance, support for new models or just
make sure it's an xorg driver problem you'll need latest versions, ie: at
least sid. If you do need lenny start with it and learn how to find out if your
hardware/system is working.

  I'm not sure about kernel support for ati cards in the PPC case where the
architecture may make a difference, mainly due to testing level of the relevant
parts. But let's suppose support is there.

  Nowadays xorg shouln't need any line, except if autodetection failed or you
need a special configuration. IOW, start with empty xorg.conf. Once X fires up,
first of all review your dmesg for graphics card initialization warnings or
errors. After this check /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or change 0 for other if you
need to check other xserver instance to the first). Look for WW or EE
(warnings/errors). You'll get lots of useful info from there.

  If this doesn't work, you'll need to check logs. Try to access from a remote
machine. State if machine is pingable or not.  Retrieve info from the error
and submit it to the proper channel: debian-x mailing list or maybe irc.
Retrieve all the information you can get.

 In any case, trying out sid stuff is quite interesting. It may make things
work. In your case, since kde desktop effects require 3d acceleration, check if
you actually have it: glxinfo |grep -i direct

  If you see that Direct rendering is enabled you're in the right direction,
but I doubt lenny ati free drivers got to that level. Once you have a crash
the most useful info you can provide is a backtrace. Checkout the xorg wiki
for how to provide a proper one. Tips: install -dbg packages for xorg, ati
driver, drm and mesa.

  The method I use to get a good bracktrace is making xserver to core dump
into a file. I manually add "ulimit -c unlimited" in the kdm init script so
once xorg crashed core is dumped in /etc/X11/core. So if you get a crash,
restart the machine(tip: alt-sysrq+keisub), do gdb $(which Xorg) /etc/X11/core
and surf there. Also check the old xorg log /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old where the
previous session info is stored.

  Once you have this information, again go back to the right X channel where
people will guide you what to do.

  Remarks: try to avoid fgrlx drivers, they are painful to use and impossible
to debug.

  HTH,

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles