Re: Options for the Debian KDE team (was: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition)

On Thursday 09 April 2009 19:24:30 you wrote:
>On Friday 10 April 2009 00:46:44 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> Won't someone please think of the users?
>Boyd,

I actually prefer Stephen--I'm a junior and my father is Boyd.

>The Debian KDE team can do about 5-10 things in a month.
>
>Which would the users prefer:
>
>1.	Handle 2 RC bugs, build, package and upload 3 packages from KDE 4.2.x and
>discuss on IRC/ mailing lists etc,
>
>2.	Handle 2 RC bugs, forward 10 BTS bugs upstream and discuss on IRC/
> mailing lists etc, or
>
>3.  As we don't have sufficient resources to do 1 & 2 at the same time,
> remove all KDE 4.2.x packages from Debian.
>
>In fact lets get more specific, which would you prefer?

Without a doubt, option 2 is what I prefer.

I generally run stable-ish mixes of software and prefer addressing existing
bugs affecting Debian software over getting the "lastest-and-greatest" from
upstream.  I can't say (either way) if I'm in the majority.  KDE 4.2 is only
on my radar because I follow KDE mailing lists in addition to my Debian
mailing lists--as long as RC bugs were fixed in the packages provided with
Lenny, I'd probably be fairly happy.[1,2]

Debian maintainers are (generally) users, too.  So, my individual preference
doesn't matter that much; even if you only had two members on the maintenance
teams you'd outweigh my vote.[3]

Perhaps some "happy medium" is better, with 1 or 2 new packages a month and
3-7 bugs forwarded upstream, with fewer bugs forwarded on months where
upstream releases a new "stable" release, and more on months were they only
provided a "maintenance", "developer-only", or "early-adopter" release.

Again, I can hardly say my opinion reflects all Debian users and if 1, 2, or 3
were my only choices, it would be 2.

[1] I wish I could reasonably run stable and shirk all the running of
testing/unstable over to others.  However, I realize that testing/unstable
users provide a valuable service to stable users by filing bugs to the DBTS.

[2] If KDE 4.x were not in experimental/unstable/testing, I would not be
complaining.  I was quite happy with the KDE in Etch!

[3] Of course, teams (or really, even groups of users) don't get to choose
which parts of Debian policy they want to follow.  They are expected to follow
the policy to the best of their ability, or change it through established
methods.