Re: Lancelot locks accessing NTFS partition

On Thursday 09 April 2009 11:14:26 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >Are you aware about how many Debian packagers has the Qt/KDE team? Do you
> >imagine how many time is needed to handle this? And not only the KDE
> > people, but other teams as well.
>
> If Debian can't shoulder the burden of maintaining KDE, they shouldn't be
> packaging it.  Debian maintainers should be ready to receive bug reports
> from Debian users.  I should not have to run another distribution or
> compile KDE from source before I file a bug.

Boyd,

You are going to start seeing a lot more messages like this one when you file
a bug with a Debian package. I am the Debian maintainer for the hplip package:

! For end user support please "Ask a question" at the
! upstream hplip support site:
!   https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+addquestion
!
! If you know that the bug you want to report is in the "upstream"
! code then please file report in the upstream hplip bug tracking system:
!   https://launchpad.net/hplip/+filebug
!
! If you feel that the bug is one that other Debian users should
! know about then you are welcome to file a report in the Debian BTS
! as well.  Please keep in mind, however, that managing bug reports
! is part of the maintainers' workload.

Why have I done this?  Because I am not able to keep on top of the bugs
reports, let alone the packaging upstream releases and the like to maintain
this and other packages.  Also a lot of bugs are just upstream bugs and in
most (all) cases it would be a lot better if the end user were talking
directly to upstream.

Sure if another 5 people wanted to come and help with the bugs then I wouldn't
have to do this, but there aren't 5 people helping, so the users reporting the
bugs can help and forward the bug to the place where they will get the fastest
response to their issues.

In a lot of cases the Debian maintain is on the upstream bug tracking list as
well and will comment directly there when/ if things are being reported that
are directly specific to the Debian package.

You don't need to run a different distribution to report a bug upstream.
Upstream will happily take reports from any users and will respond to your
issues.

However if you report another upstream bug to the BTS, the Debian maintainer
may not be in a position to forward the bug upstream for many days/ weeks/
months if at all.  So the end user doesn't get any feedback on their bug
either.

Users don't need a 'bug-day' to forward bugs upstream.  Anyone can do that at
any time and at any stage of the project.  I hope you are contributing with
every post you are making here to debian-kde and also forwarding a bug
upstream.  Takes me about 3-6 minutes per bug. Because that is what Debian is
about.  Lots of people, like you, doing a little bit of work when they have
some spare time.

So with your next spare 3 minutes, look at the BTS, check if a bug is still
relevant, forward it upstream, and mark it as forwarded in the BTS.

Mark