Re: Can KDE4 use Postgresql rather than MySql

On Tuesday 07 April 2009, David Goodenough wrote:
> I notice that Kde4 pulls in MySql, I think if I remember correctly this is
> part of the new bits of KdePim for akonadi (if I remember its name
> correctly).
>
> I use Postgresql for all my databases, and feel much more comfortable
> with Postgresql than I do with MySql (even more so now that it seems
> to be being forked upstream).  Is it possible to build akonadi with
> postgresql support rather than mysql, and if so is this something that
> the Kde packagers might consider - i.e. offering the choice?

There has been some initial work on supporting Postgresql and I think those
patches got merged.

It might require some manual setup, i.e. the fully automomous startup is most
likely only supported for MySQL right now.

Would be interesting to have some feedback/testing on usage with Postgres
though.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring