Re: Questions about KDE4

El Martes, 15 de Enero de 2008, Martin Steigerwald escribió:
> Am Dienstag 15 Januar 2008 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Hendrik,
>
> > some people here obviously already tried it. I cannot (only one system
> > without a CD writer) and have some questions:
> >
> > First: is it possible to try it in something like VirtualBox?
>
> I have it in virtualbox. Works pretty nice. You can't fully test
> compositing easily at least with OpenGL tough, it won't obviously not
> hardware accelerated.

  I think the closer way to the real thing(TM) for using kde4 and keeping your
kde3 installation untouched is creating a chroot. Well it is not as close as
running a whole kde4 installation or a kde4 livecd but it allows you to test
it thouroughfully and this includes opengl effects.

  This is the way I chose, I created an unstable chroot and configured the
kde3 kdm to run on display :1, while kde4 kdm will run on :0. This is because
I can only run one xorg instance with opengl acceleration.

  I also use a test user for kde4 while my original debian-kde installation is
untouched. These are some indications I went through to get this working.

  1- create a chroot using debootstrap on /home/chroot/experimental
  2- configure schroot to use that installation and also mount /tmp and /home
(into chroot)
  3- add the experimental repository to the chroot
  4- apt-pin experimental packages with higher priority than unstable
  5- install kdebase, kdemultimedia, kdeutils, kdegraphics, kdenetwork and
kde-l10n-es
  6- tweak the xorg configuration file to enable composite and dri.
(into original installation)
  7- change kde3 kdm configuration to reserve :1 instead of :0
  8- create a test user and add it to audio group.

  Now each time you want to enter kde4:

  1- Go to a text terminal
  2- stop kde3 kdm
  3- enter into the chroot
  4- start kde4 kdm
  5- Logon as test user
  6- Go to another text terminal
  7- Start kde3 kdm
  8- Logon as regular user.

  This last steps could be cumbersome, but it could be automated using
scripts.

  I planned to write a good explanation on the debian wiki, but I haven't
found the time yet.

  More info on request.

  Regards,
--