Nothing in /usr/share/autostart runs

I run a (more-or-less) headless machine and start KDE in a vnc server.
I had been running 'testing' but switched to 'unstable'.  When I
switched to 'unstable', nothing in /usr/share/autostart runs when kde
starts.  I get an desktop with a VNC Config dialog and (fortunately) a
konsole.  I can run kdesktop, kicker, etc from the konsole and
everything seems to work as expected (more-or-less). There's nothing
obvious in the log files.  I've tried starting a vnc server for a new
user, cleaning various directories (/tmp, /var/tmp, ~/.kde).  I also
couldn't find anything in the archive.

Versions:
Qt: 3.3.6
KDE: 3.5.2
KWin: 3.0

I'm not exactly clear where to look next. I've probably missed
something that will be obvious in retrospect.

Any guidance, or even a nudge in the right direction will be appreciated.