Re: Bemused killed my sound

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 13:35:24 +0200, Han wrote:
> Sorry if I didn't give enough information to explain my problem.
>
> I had sound working properly with the following setup:
>
>    kernel 2.6.8
>    kde 3.5.2
>    aRts sound system
>
> and my sound was working fine, i then installed
>
>    kernerl 2.6.16
>
> and still things were working fine, but after i tried to run Bemused
> using my Nokia 6630
> I got no sound out on the phone and as well as from my desktopspeakers
>
> If i go to Kinfocentre it shows that my:
>
>    AUDIO DEVICES: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
>    SYNTH DEVICES: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
>    Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
>
> I tried to remove and reinstall aRts that didnt solve my problem
>
> does anyone know what i can do to resolve this issue and get my sound back

I don't know anything specific about Bemused and Nokia, but here are
some general pointers about sound problems:

1) Maybe there are hung-up processes blocking the sound device. You can
   check this with "lsof -w | grep /dev/snd"

2) Try to see if alsa is still OK (any error messages?):
   /etc/init.d/alsa force-reload

3) Use "alsamixer" to make sure that the volume is turned up.

4) Use "speaker-test" to get some low-level sound output.

5) If 1-4 work you can check in the KDE Control Center > Sound if KDE
   can play the test sound.

If it looks like you might be having a problem with alsa it might help
to run "alsaconf" as root.

--
Regards,
          Florian