Re: problems starting KDE

On Monday 22 August 2005 17:38, User Debian wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> 5. After killing the X with Ctrl+Alt+Bsp the .xsession-errors file reads:
> Xsession: X session started for <username> at Mon Aug 22 18:28:16 CEST 2005
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 22301, errno = 95
> startkde: Starting up...
> kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
> WARNING: DCOP communication problem!
> QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
> QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
>
> Xlib: No protocol specified

The problem, as far as I can see is the DCOP communication problem.

Check /etc/hosts, specifically, and ensure you have not messed with the line

127.0.0.1  localhost

and that your system hostname (uname -n) is resolvable by your chosen domain
name resolution system (DNS/files/NIS, whichever you are using).

David