problems starting KDE

Dear All,

My question concerns starting KDE 3.3 on my fresh Etch installation
(i386 on AMD Athlon machine).

1. In ~/.xsession I have only one line  "exec startkde"

2. X starts without any problems and Display Manager window appears (I
tried xdm and kdm)

3. After I  enter my login and password,  the splash screen appears.

4. Splash screen stays at the "Initializing system services" stage for
about 2 min and then (without passing the rest) I see the background
with a mouse pointer. That's it.

5. After killing the X with Ctrl+Alt+Bsp the .xsession-errors file reads:
Xsession: X session started for <username> at Mon Aug 22 18:28:16 CEST 2005
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 22301, errno = 95
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
WARNING: DCOP communication problem!
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used

Xlib: No protocol specified

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
kded: Fatal IO error: client killed
DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'anonymous-22675' to 'kded'
kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.

Xlib: No protocol specified

kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.

Xlib: No protocol specified

kcminit: cannot connect to X server :0

Xlib: No protocol specified

knotify: cannot connect to X server :0
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
ERROR: Communication problem with knotify, it probably crashed.

Other win-manager (e.g. wmaker and xfce) work without any problem. I
think, something goes wrong when xlib refuses KDE the connection to
":0.0". Why does it do so?
It does not help if I put "xhost +" in the ".xsession" file BEFORE
"exec startkde".

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Roman