Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

Nick Leverton wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 06:40:31PM +0200, Bastian Venthur wrote:
>
>> Ok but I remember me having calculated the dpi of my monitors "by hand"
>> many times, so I think It would be nice to have some config tool done
>> this for me. It can't be to hard: during installation of x or kde the
>> tool could check if my monitor gives the data it needs to calculate
>> automaticly, if not just ask how many inches this monitor has and
>> calculate the dpi by given resolution.
>
> It can do that !  Put the DisplaySize in mm into your XF86Config-4 (this
> is my old 17", which doesn't do DRI so all the params have to be hard
> coded):
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier    "Lynwood CR17/2 Monitor"
> VendorName    "CTX"
> HorizSync     30.0-65.0
> VertRefresh   50.0-90.0
> DisplaySize     324 238
> Option                "DPMS"

Are you sure, that this setting works for both: starting via kdm and
starting via startx? If yes (what i doubt, because i've tried this solution
a year ago), than I have to ask, why am I supposed to edit this file *by
hand* which breaks by default dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (I know how
to fix it)?

I think I've understood, that dpi is not so useless as i thought, but it's
still an annoying problem for the average-user (kdm starts with x dpi, but
startx with y).

We really should get over this problem, and a solution could be

Checking if Monitor supports DRI, if not
        ask user about width and heigth of monitor.

It would be nice to see something like this in dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86.

> Nick

Nice Weekend

Bastian