Re: New font defaults for new users - feedback wanted!

Am Samstag, 9. April 2005 11:47 schrieb Bastian Venthur:
> Nick Leverton wrote:
> > It can do that !  Put the DisplaySize in mm into your XF86Config-4 (this
> > is my old 17", which doesn't do DRI so all the params have to be hard
> > coded):
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> > Identifier    "Lynwood CR17/2 Monitor"
> > VendorName    "CTX"
> > HorizSync     30.0-65.0
> > VertRefresh   50.0-90.0
> > DisplaySize     324 238
> > Option                "DPMS"
>
> Are you sure, that this setting works for both: starting via kdm and
> starting via startx?

Yes, but you have to remove any -dpi options, e.g.
from /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc or the Xservers file from KDM (AFAIK it's not
there anymore).

> If yes (what i doubt, because i've tried this solution
> a year ago), than I have to ask, why am I supposed to edit this file *by
> hand* which breaks by default dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (I know how
> to fix it)?

It's not X fault that the xserver-xfree86 configuration stuff cannot handle
this...

> Checking if Monitor supports DRI, if not
>         ask user about width and heigth of monitor.
>
> It would be nice to see something like this in dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86.

Yes, would be :)
OTOH, this setting is only usefule for monitors with a fixed optimal
resolution like TFT monitors. It's a bit more complicated with CRT monitors,
especially with older, non-flat ones.

HS