Font substitution in Konqueror?

Recently, I was interested in why certain websites looked very nice
(antialiased, readable fonts, etc) on some KDE boxes and rather poor (no
antialiasing, barely readable fonts) on others.  I tracked down the
difference to msttcorefonts.  On machines with that package installed,
those sites in question (CNN.com is a prominent example) looked great.
On machines without it, they didn't.  In general, most of the sites that
exhibited this problem had code like:

<FONT face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">

Now, aside from the presence (or not) of msttcorefonts, both machines
were configured identically.  Both had antialiasing turned on in KDE and
fontconfig.  Both were set to use the Bitstream Vera fonts in both KDE
and Konqueror.

My question is this: is there some way to tell the system to substitute
Vera for Arial on machines that don't have Arial?  I'm happy with either
a Konqeuror setting or a global setting.

I poked around a little in /etc/fonts, and as far as I could tell, it
should already be doing this, but I don't really know what's going on
with those files.

Any suggestions?