Re: kdelibs build problem

Dominique Devriese writes:

Matthew M Lavy writes:
I would be very grateful for advice on the following: I have just
upgraded my Debian system from woody to unstable (big hike I know
:)). All is well, except for KDE. kdeinit fails to start; further
investigation reveals the following: #kde-config kde-config:
relocation error: /usr/lib/libkdefx.so.4: undefined symbol:
_ZN7QObject5eventEP6QEvent
This is weird.
Hmm. So:
#apt-get -b source kdelibs4
<snip> In other words, here's my relocation error again.
Yes, I'm not sure why you thought this would fix anything.

Thought it might be some weird linking error that would magically
resolve itself if the same gcc were used on QT and KDE on my
system. Evidently I was wrong :)

Yes, I think it is indeed a problem due to your kdelibs and qt not
being compiled with the same compiler, but your approach to solving it
was not correct, I think.
dpkg -l |grep qt

rc libqt3-mt 3.0.3-20020329 Qt GUI Library (Threaded runtime version).

Can you try to remove the above quoted package ?
It's not there (hence "rc"); it once was. See below:
apt-get remove libqt3-mt

#apt-get remove libqt3-mt
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package libqt3-mt is not installed, so not removed
The absence of "c102" in the package name seems to indicate that it is
still compiled with an older c++ compiler, and the link
/usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 probably still points to the library from that
package.  If you don't want to remove the package, you can also try
the following: cd /usr/lib && ln -sf libqt-mt.so.3.2 libqt-mt.so.3

Just to be absolutely sure, I purged all of those binaries and re-installed wit apt-get install libqt3c102-mt. Still no joy...

--
Matthew M Lavy MA PhD PgDL ARCM LTCL
http://www.scribblin.gs