Re: KDE3 - Debian/experimental distribution proposal (was: yes i am alive ;)

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:25:28 +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:

[...]
>The other thing is what version of Debian users want to run KDE on. I myself
>would prefer woody, although testing and unstable are fine, too.

FWIW, just to register an opinion, my interest is solely in non-beta
packages (just don't have time to test beta stuff right now - I need a
working system), and for stability's sake only on Woody.  So currently
I'm only interested in KDE 3.0x packages for Woody, with all that
implies (GCC 2.95, etc.).

[I currently use Woody with official KDE 2.2]

My 2p: a Debian archive should be created within kde.org to hold
"unofficial" Debian KDE packages - not a KDE archive within
debian.org.  Regarding the creation of an "experimental" Debian, I'm
inclined to agree with Ben Burton's concern that people would "add
experimental to their sources.list and suddenly get all sorts of
*other* experimental packages without realising it".

Continuing to use people.d.o and other such places would also be fine,
but makes it difficult for new users to find what they need.

[Currently, I'm confused about where to get the KDE 3.0.4 debs from
that I think I know I want - I believe I have the required information
on this list somewhere, but have some collation work to do to figure
it all out]

A weekly posting to this list, of pointers to good locations for
various KDE package archives would be an _excellent_ thing ..
(Or even a daily posting - the speed with which development takes
place at times !)

Sorry, but I'm in no position to help - except maybe for working on
documentation if that's needed (Ralf Nolden mentioned this).

Tip o'the hat to all the packagers :)

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
"Remember - friends don't send friends HTML e-mail"