Re: kde 3.* in sid will it ever happen?

Frank Van Damme said, and I quote:
> On Friday 13 September 2002 18:58, Nathan Waddell wrote:
> >  IMNSHO, the RedHat Package Manager is far less powerful and flexible than
> > Debian's dpkg. Forcing users to go searching for RPM's that may or may not
> > have that dependency you need to compile/run an important program is
> > idiocy.
>
> IMELHO (In My Even Less Humble Opinion) this has nothing to do with dpkg vs.
> rpm but rather with apt vs. non-apt. Redhat doesn't support Apt (because they
> sell a service that does the same?). Debian does (duh). There is apt for rpm
> too, see Connectiva (and it also works with Mandrake afaik).

I think you too are mistaken. What makes Debian better than most
distributions is policy (and lintian/linda) and the fact that most
software has already been packaged so you don;t need to search for
packages which may or may not work with your version of linux.

Policy has the nice effect of making sure that debian packages work well
together. The other nice advantage is that debian packages don't have to
try and work on 50 different distributions.

--
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com