KDE3 bug thread - kmail problem

I installed KDE3 from:
deb http://kde3.geniussystems.net/debian ./

However now kmail does not seem to want to play ball. It cannot download
mail from imap or pop servers. I am sure the servers work, maybe someone
can advise me to debug the problem?

Clicking "Check what this server supports" results in an error that it
could not connect to the server. This is wrong, as I can ping it and
fetchmail with my alternate fetchmail/mutt setup.

Maybe someone can recommend a groovy apt line to try re-install it?
Maybe I am missing a package?

Otherwise, I have to regrettably downgrade to the "official" sid
packages. Argh.

Regards,
-Kai Hendry