Re: multiple X sessions

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Jay Kline wrote:

> Yes, you can have as many as you want running. I used to have one on vt7 and
> vt8, each at a different resolution for various things.  However, I ran into
> a few problems.  The biggest was the video card. There is only so much memory
> those things have, and when you switch between them, it can screw some things
> up (just how they are displayed).  You also run into the problem of how much
> physical memory and CPU time you have.  If you want to do this effectively,
> make sure you have a beefy system.
>
> To do it, you just need to set up XDM to set up multiple screens.  KDM uses
> the XDM stuff, so take a look at /etc/X11/xdm/ (or whereever they are for
> you) you will want to create new entries in there.   My current setup is not
> normal, so I cant give any examples, but if you read the man pages for xdm
> you should be able to figure it out.

There is a file (/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers) in the xdm config dir, but with
this one you start several X servers. And you have to predetermine how
many users will use the computer at the same time.
The perfect solution would be (as in WinXP...) to start only one X server,
and when you lock your screen (you leave your computer) other users could
login as well, without touching your existing session. And with a key
combination you could change among the running sessions after having
yourself reauthenticated.

--
 Gabor Gludovatz <ggabor@sopron.hu>  -  Phone: +36 (20) 9 109 129
  http://www.sopron.hu/~ggabor/ * http://gludo.sopron.hu/gpg.txt