Re: multiple X sessions

On Monday 06 May 2002 02:17 pm, Gabor Gludovatz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to manage multiple logins with kdm and X? I have an office
> computer which is often used by other people as well, and if somebody
> wants to read emails or do something, I have to log out.. or as an
> alternative solution I could start a new X server..

Yes, you can have as many as you want running. I used to have one on vt7 and
vt8, each at a different resolution for various things.  However, I ran into
a few problems.  The biggest was the video card. There is only so much memory
those things have, and when you switch between them, it can screw some things
up (just how they are displayed).  You also run into the problem of how much
physical memory and CPU time you have.  If you want to do this effectively,
make sure you have a beefy system.

To do it, you just need to set up XDM to set up multiple screens.  KDM uses
the XDM stuff, so take a look at /etc/X11/xdm/ (or whereever they are for
you) you will want to create new entries in there.   My current setup is not
normal, so I cant give any examples, but if you read the man pages for xdm
you should be able to figure it out.