Re: KDE filesystem structure

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:15:21PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:

> Like I've told you before, KDE3 is not my department. The extent of my
> KDE3 influence is talking to Chris on IRC; something I suggest you do if
> you want to become involved in KDE3 packaging.

Hi,

actually, why doesn't Debian go the /opt/kde3 or /usr/kde3 way, like other
distributions? E.g. SuSE has had absolutely no problems providing KDE3 beta
RPMs for all users which don't interfere with the KDE2 setup at all,
because they use /opt/kde{2,3} and ~/.kde2, ~/.kde3 subdirs etc..

The only argument from Debian people I've heard so far is that it is
'evil'.

KDE is no longer 'too small for an extra directory', the packages eat much
much more space than e.g. /usr/games or even /usr/X11.

--
mfg, Jens Benecke
http://www.jensbenecke.de/ - Persönliches

Politics is like a septic tank - all the big shits float to the top.