Re: KDE filesystem structure

Hi James,

Your reasoning is right. KDE filesystem layout on debian systems is terrible,
and it is not what KDE was designed for. I'm going to have a look at all
those issues when I'm done with my thesis (2 weeks from now) because it
drives me mad as I'm trying to maintain a gideon debian build and an own
gideon build for hacking at the same time.

Note that this is a mainly user/packaging list and you may not find an answer
right here.

I'm forwarding your question to kdevelop list. In kdevelop we're using
generic KDE application templates, which uses the KDE autoconf/automake based
build system. That build system, as you have seen, by default is not adjusted
to work on the debian system. Your best bet is to develop for KDE with your
own build. Then you can simply say something like --prefix=/usr/local/kde3
and you will be without any troubles. See the docs on developer.kde.org to
see how.

Thanks,

On Monday 14 January 2002 15:02, James Thorniley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been programming software with KDevelop for a while now and recently
> noticed my help system has stopped working - I think this is since KDE
> 2.2.2 (i.e. it used to work with KDE 2.2.1). I have always used the
> variable $(kde_htmldir) in the makefiles to install the documentation in
> the right location, for example for my program kcast, the help file
> index.docbook gets installed to $(kde_htmldir)/kcast/index.docbook.
> Unfortunately, the if you go in to the help system, you can browse through
> the application section and find my icon (I assume it works it out from the
> .desktop file) but it can't find the documentation itself.
>
> A little investigation shows that my documentation has found it's way into
> /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/... whereas all the other kde docs are to be found
> in /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/...
>
> The reason for this seems to me to be that the automake/autoconf (sorry I
> can't remember which one it is ;) macro that finds the kde prefix has
> obviously quite rightly found /usr as the kde prefix on debian, and then
> assumed that the documentation path is share/doc/HTML/en. The problem is,
> for some reason the documentation has been moved on debian. I could change
> my makefiles, so that they used $(kde_datadir)/doc/kde/HTML/en for example,
> but then the install would not work on systems like SuSE, where they use
> the standard kde layout. Can I suggest that KDE documentation on debian is
> moved back to /usr/share/doc/HTML/, to conform with other kde
> distributions? I realise the kde maintainers are a little busy at the
> moment ;) so I'm not expecting instant results, but I thought it might be
> worth sparking the debate since it might involve co-ordination from
> application developers.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks for reading (sorry so long ;)
> James