Re: KDE filesystem structure

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:20:08PM +0100, Jens Benecke wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:15:21PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
>
> > Like I've told you before, KDE3 is not my department. The extent of my
> > KDE3 influence is talking to Chris on IRC; something I suggest you do if
> > you want to become involved in KDE3 packaging.
>
> Hi,
>
> actually, why doesn't Debian go the /opt/kde3 or /usr/kde3 way, like other
> distributions? E.g. SuSE has had absolutely no problems providing KDE3 beta
> RPMs for all users which don't interfere with the KDE2 setup at all,
> because they use /opt/kde{2,3} and ~/.kde2, ~/.kde3 subdirs etc..
>
> The only argument from Debian people I've heard so far is that it is
> 'evil'.

And HEINOUSLY violates that little "policy" thing of ours that no-one
cares about. You put your own stuff in /opt/kde[23], that's what it's
for - your *own* stuff. For packagers, it's another /usr/local - touch
and burn. Also, in general, putting random subdirs under /usr is
exceedingly bad practice, and it also violates that little policy thing.
(Bear in mind that the FHS is also policy).

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<BenC> Subject: Pill to Increase Your Ejaculation by 581%