Re: Kwork/Koffice

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 20:54 pm, Tom Allison wrote:

> I'll ask you the same thing I asked of LaTeX.
> Any suggestions on "tutorial" sites to introduce me to this further?
>
> I'm very, very unfamiliar with what these are and would like a little
> help getting started.  I am under the impression that these are a bit
> more powerful than 'notepad.exe'...

I'm no expert on LaTex.  It is a very powerful way to typeset complex
documents.  It can produce professional quality output as good as any
printing house.  I think it is not for the casual user.

Lyx is a WYSIWYM* front end to LaTex.  You don't have to know anything about
LaTex to use it.  You just write your document and what you see is very close
to what the final printed output will look like.  LaTex, and by extension Lyx
and Klyx, knows about document structure.  You work in terms of paragraphs,
sections, subsections, chapters, etc.  You don't have to worry about
headings, fonts, section numbers, etc.  It handles complex math formulas
better than Star Office and I think better that M$Word.  It handles
footnotes, endnotes, and references in an intelligent way.  After having
written a few research papers in Klyx, trying to work in Star Office felt
like a step backwards.  I haven't worked in M$Word much, but I imagine it
would feel the same.

Lyx uses the XForms widget set.  It's not bad but it's not KDE.  Klyx is Lyx
ported to KDE.  It looks and feels like any other KDE program.  I like it
very much.  Unfortunately, I read recently that it is no longer supported.
In fact the version that is available for Debian is a KDE 1 program.  If you
install it, it will require a couple of KDE 1 packages to support it.
However, I have it installed on my woody system and it seems to play nice.

An excellent set of documentation comes with both the Lyx and Klyx packages
including a Tutorial, a User's Guide, and a Reference Manual.  They are in
the form of lyx files, so you can read them while you're working or print out
a set of professional looking manuals.

* What You See Is What You Mean -- not quite WYSIWYG, but close.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>
They have awakened a sleeping giant