Re: sarge 32bit --> lenny 64bit upgrade

Teodor wrote:
> Really? I've did a rsync yesterday from a mysql5.0 database on "etch"
> 32-bit to a mysql5.0 database on "lenny" 64-bit and it works without
> any problem.
>
> Cheers

Then maybe the newer MySQL server has some code to do the conversion,
because I'm pretty sure that it did not work previously. Once, I had a
server crash (defective PSU), then we had to reinstall all on a new
hardware. The only way I was able to get my database back, was doing a
chroot to the backup of the old server, start (the 32 bits) MySQL, do a
dump, stop MySQL, exit from chroot, start (the 64 bits) MySQL, and
reimport. I say it again: it did not work AT ALL to use the 32 bits data
in the 64 bits MySQL server. This was ALL running in Etch, at the time.

Thomas