Re: sarge 32bit --> lenny 64bit upgrade

Marek Podmaka wrote:
> (is it worth for 4 GB RAM acting as mail
> server and central mysql server?)

It is always worth to get away from pentium 1 compiled package, use 8
general purpose registers and no memory pages, instead of the very old
system in 32 bits.

> 2) Don't upgrade. Backup /home and try to install from scratch lenny
> 64bit. But how to do it? Which filesystems to keep and which
> re-format? I suppose I should re-format everything except /home and
> /var, or else I would end up with old 32bit versions of some files
> still there.
>
> I suppose it's no problem for installer to detect existing MD devices
> (md0 for /, md1 for LVM, md2 for swap), activate them, detect LVM PV
> on md1 and use the existing LVs - either configuring them with new
> filesystem or keeping the old data (/home and /var).
>
> Which method would you prefer?

You can keep your /home if there's only data there, but I have to warn
you that you will NOT be able to use a 32 bits mysql /var/lib/mysql
folder on a 64 bits system. You WILL have to use mysqldump and then
reimport.

Anyway, you are right, the Debian installer can see your RAID and LVM
devices and not reformat them if you ask correctly.

Thomas