sarge 32bit --> lenny 64bit upgrade

Hello all,

I have one server which is still running sarge (because of
mysql-server 4.0). I want to upgrade it, but also want to add more
memory (4GB in total), so I would like to have 64bit version
installed.

There are few possibilities how to do it:
1) Upgrade sarge to etch, then upgrade etch to lenny
-  try to change lenny 32bit into 64bit (I know it's not supported but
I have found few documents on how to do it)
- or forget about 64bit (is it worth for 4 GB RAM acting as mail
server and central mysql server?)

2) Don't upgrade. Backup /home and try to install from scratch lenny
64bit. But how to do it? Which filesystems to keep and which
re-format? I suppose I should re-format everything except /home and
/var, or else I would end up with old 32bit versions of some files
still there.

I suppose it's no problem for installer to detect existing MD devices
(md0 for /, md1 for LVM, md2 for swap), activate them, detect LVM PV
on md1 and use the existing LVs - either configuring them with new
filesystem or keeping the old data (/home and /var).

Which method would you prefer?

--
  bYE, Marki