Re: Strange delete performance using XFS

Hi Martin,

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 08:44:40AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Thomas Kaehn <tk@westend.com> [2007.04.05.0831 +0200]:
> > I am going to try with a different RAID setup or single disk on
> > the same machine. Maybe the RAID controller has problems with some
> > specific read/write patterns required by XFS in this case.
>
> Keep us posted.

I've tried different measures in order to improve the delete
performance (firmware upgrade for the 3ware controller, single disk
instead of RAID10, different kernel settings according to 3ware, etc.).

However disabling write barriers is the only measure which lowers
delete performance from minutes to seconds. I've opened a case at
3ware to come to know if write barriers are supported by the controller.

As write barriers are "generally recommended" according to the XFS
FAQ I don't want to disable them (which might be negative in case
of system crashes).

Ciao,
Thomas
--
Thomas Kähn                   WESTEND GmbH  |  Internet-Business-Provider
Technik                       CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller