Re: Strange delete performance using XFS

also sprach Thomas Kaehn <tk@westend.com> [2007.04.04.1356 +0200]:
> I've got a strange problem on one machine using XFS. Deleting large
> directories (containing about 100000 files, 20k each) using "rm -rf"
> lasts nearly as long as creating the the files using a bash loop.

It's a know fact that XFS has really bad unlink() performance. If
you can't deal with it, use another filesystem. There is probably
nothing wrong with your system.

> Has anyone realized similar effects? On a different server (Dell
> 6850) the directory can be deleted within seconds. What could be
> the reason for the huge difference in delete performance?

Also XFS?

"for her, the dashed lines on the freeway were like grains of sand
 slipping, through an hour glass, ticking away the seconds, the
 minutes, and the hours of her life. if she got home a few minutes
 early on any given afternoon, it gave her a thrill as if she had
 stolen a little something back from death."
-- mc 900 ft jesus (http://www.theendoftheworld.org/900/spider1.shtml)