Re: Strange delete performance using XFS

Hi Martin,

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:23:02PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Thomas Kaehn <tk@westend.com> [2007.04.04.1356 +0200]:
> > I've got a strange problem on one machine using XFS. Deleting large
> > directories (containing about 100000 files, 20k each) using "rm -rf"
> > lasts nearly as long as creating the the files using a bash loop.
>
> It's a know fact that XFS has really bad unlink() performance. If
> you can't deal with it, use another filesystem. There is probably
> nothing wrong with your system.

this is somehow correct, but a little worse unlink performance in
contrast to ext3/jfs/etc. or really bad unlink performance should
still be a difference.

> > Has anyone realized similar effects? On a different server (Dell
> > 6850) the directory can be deleted within seconds. What could be
> > the reason for the huge difference in delete performance?
>
> Also XFS?

Yes, its also XFS. I've tried on several systems and some guys from the
XFS mailing list also tried. The worst result for deletes besides this
system is a about a fourth of the create time.

I am going to try with a different RAID setup or single disk on
the same machine. Maybe the RAID controller has problems with
some specific read/write patterns required by XFS in this case.

Ciao,
Thomas
--
Thomas Kähn                   WESTEND GmbH  |  Internet-Business-Provider
Technik                       CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller