Re: 3Com 3c982-TXM

On 01-01-22 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 22:54 21.01.2001 +0100 hat Christian Kurz geschrieben:
> >
> >On 01-01-21 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> >> Am 14:43 20.01.2001 +0100 hat Christian Kurz geschrieben:

> >> This NIC has two channels 100/200 MBit and can do loadbalancing up to
> >
> >I don't believe that is has 200Mbit according to 3coms website at
> >http://www.3com.com/products/nics/3c982sp.html. If it's a 10/100 PCI, it
> >only has 100Mbit and not more.

> Full-Duplex ???

No, Full-Duplex can't double the speed. If it's a 10/100 NIC, then even
with FUll-Duplex it will have not more then 100Mbit. It looks like you
have no idea what Full-Duplex means. Please get a good book about
network that explain Half- and Full-Duplex and then you will understand
this.

> >> 400 MBit or you can have one cannel for the UP-Link and one channel for
> >
> >I don't believe those 400Mbit as it looks very much like a NIC for a
> >normal PC. And I doubt that a normal PC can handle 400Mbit.

> It is a Dual-NIC !!!

Which only means that it has two RJ45-Connectors and it will still not
be able to use 400Mbit. And I also doubt that it will reach 200Mbit.

> >Hm, but then you have the server as the bottleneck, which gives you not
> >a so much better network performance. I think using a dedicted router
> >for such a job would be better.

> Athlon 1,2GHz ???

A fast processor is helpful building a fast router, but not the only
important criteria. Also the amount of RAM is important. And in your
case the limited speed of the PCI-Bus will be a bottleneck.

> >> But you need managed 3Com Superstack III   ;-))
> >
> >Which is good for 3com, because they earn more money from you.

> You do not like 3Com ?

Where did I say that? I just told you that if you need additional
hardware from the same vendor, it will be good for the vendor, because
he deserves more money from you.

> >> You can have two NICS paralel in your server and one died the other
> >
> >But you can also set up two servers with a fail-over-software, like
> >heartbeat. Having one server gives you a single point of failure.

> ...and you need two Servers for around 25.000 DM each

Why a Server for such a high price? You can get cheaper servers or build
cheaper servers on your own, which should also be able to handle this
situation.

> >34MBit? You really want to use 34Mbit? And you still want to tell me
> >that your customers need such a high bandwith? I don't really believe
> >this values.

> If you like to offer DSL to your customers, what do you for performance ?

I wouldn't buy a 34Mbit-line until I have enough customers and until
they really need more bandwith then I currently have. So I would start
with a 4-6Mbit and look for enough customers to use this bandwith.

> e.g.
>                         Up-Stream       Down-Stream
>         T-DSL               128 kBit           768 kBit
>         A-DSL           128-860 kBit         1,5-6 Mbit
>         S-SDL              1536 kBit          1536 kBit

>         Cabel-Modem  128kBit - 2MBit         2 -30 MBit

>         Wave-Lan     64/128/256/384/512 kBit and unlimited 11 MBit

> How many Clients Du you need or like to have ???

Why do yo ask me that question? I'm happy with being a employee and
don't want to start a new company.

> If you are ISDN-Access-Provider you have around 100-150 Clienst per MBit
> and Crazzy ISP's 250 Clienst per MBit.

Hm, where did you got those figures and who is in your opinion a crazy
ISP?

> I like to get 10% of all housholds in Kehl.
> And I must calculate with 870 home users and I need 17.4 Mbit
> Now I must calculate around 100 proffessional users and I need 5 MBit.

Argh, don't you remember the advices that Marc Haber gave you on
debian-user-de about calculating your bandwith? It still looks like you
have no imagination how much bandwith 6Mbit are and how many customers
you will need to use this bandwith completely.

Ciao
     Christian
--
          Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Team Member