Re: 3Com 3c982-TXM

On 01-01-21 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 14:43 20.01.2001 +0100 hat Christian Kurz geschrieben:
> >
> >On 01-01-20 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> >> Am 22:53 19.01.2001 +0100 hat Christian Kurz geschrieben:

> <snip>

> >> NIC is absolutly ISP related. Oh yes, the new Version is 3c990-TXM.
> >
> >Hm, but why exactly this NIC and no other NIC? I currently wonder why
> >you insist on using exactly this NIC and no other NIC.

> This NIC has two channels 100/200 MBit and can do loadbalancing up to

I don't believe that is has 200Mbit according to 3coms website at
http://www.3com.com/products/nics/3c982sp.html. If it's a 10/100 PCI, it
only has 100Mbit and not more.

> 400 MBit or you can have one cannel for the UP-Link and one channel for

I don't believe those 400Mbit as it looks very much like a NIC for a
normal PC. And I doubt that a normal PC can handle 400Mbit.

> the Downlink which is beller for the Network pervormance.

Hm, but then you have the server as the bottleneck, which gives you not
a so much better network performance. I think using a dedicted router
for such a job would be better.

> But you need managed 3Com Superstack III   ;-))

Which is good for 3com, because they earn more money from you.

> >> I thin, I can find help only in the right Domain, because no private
> >> person will use a NIC for more then 300 US$.
> >
> >Well, why do you buy such a expensive NIC? Has this it some special
> >features that you need or would a cheaper NIC be also usable for you?

> Performance and Redunace !!!

Not really. Redundance is something that you don't gain with just
installing such a NIC. Redundancy is reached by using other methods. And
my comments about the performance are some lines above this one.

> You can have two NICS paralel in your server and one died the other

But you can also set up two servers with a fail-over-software, like
heartbeat. Having one server gives you a single point of failure.

> will do the job. I am in creation of my own Internet-WaveLAN-Service
> with two 34 MBit-Backbones (UUnet and Deutsche Telekom) and now I need

34MBit? You really want to use 34Mbit? And you still want to tell me
that your customers need such a high bandwith? I don't really believe
this values.

Ciao
     Christian
--
          Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Team Member