Re: DSL

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 10:11:06AM -0500, tps@unslept.com wrote:
> lack of reliability in DSL, so he asked if you could get 2 DSL lines
> and have one failover to the other. Huh... a client with a clue! My

Well, it might be different overseas (mind you I know you can get lucky
at least in the USA since I have friends there with ADSL that has never
once gone down on them).  But haven't had any problems with my ADSL
going down on me for reasons that would not make a T1 go down.  It's not
something specific to the underlaying technlogy, apart from the fact
maybe that allot of providers use PPPoE which is kinda a hack, mind you
I've had no reliability problems with that).  I spose the other problem
could be that DSL providers there don't test the line quality good
enough.  If the line is good enough and the provider is reliable and
they are close enough to an exchange then there should be no
reliablility probelms with ADSL or any other DSL.  (I must also add that
my ADSL hasn't gone down for a long time and the problems that we
originally are hard to comment on since my household was one of the
first places to get ADSL from that company).

> question is: DSL router for 2 lines? Or is there a way to make a
> Linux box talk DSL? How about BGP in DSL land?

Depends on what varient of DSL you are speaking of.  If it's ADSL then
you can use Roaring Penguin's PPPoE client packaged in debian as pppoe.
I don't know much about how you'd make it use the other line if it fell
over, but I don't see the point in doing it if you wouldn't do it for a
T1.  If anything a failure is unlikely to be the ADSL's fault, but more
the provider (or the telco).

Also keep in mind that if it's ADSL, that their upstream bandwidth would
be less than a T1.

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia