Re: permissions. ACLs? groups?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 12:20:38PM -0500, Tom Hart wrote:
> Well, a normal user account on, for example, Debian GNU/Linux, doesn't
> have access to the addgroup command. Probably that is considered
> "administrative", hence only administrators can add groups.

In the Hurd, you already can split up your user and group id.

You can run your own auth server, and your own filesystem servers running on
filesystem images created in your home dir can use your own auth server.
If you also run your own password server and have your own password and
group file, you can let others make use of that to gain an id handle with
your auth server and communicate with your filesystem.

The interfaces for this are all there, you might need a few convenience
programs to really get the above set up running.  In particular, there is no
easy way to use two different auth servers.  But it is technically possible.

> Well, this isn't a bug

bug-hurd is also the development list.

> low-priority. Of course, this isn't Debian-specific. We could move to
> help-hurd@gnu.org?

Also fine.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/