Re: permissions. ACLs? groups?

Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:

[Lionel Elie Mamane campaigns against deny-ACEs,
arguing that using them is dumb]

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 03:05:20PM -0500, Tom Hart responds:
Ok, continuing with your example: I'm a plotter. The sysadmin gives all employees and board members access to set permissions on their own files, but not to create new groups.

Why is the user forbidden from creating new groups?
Well, a normal user account on, for example, Debian GNU/Linux, doesn't have access to the addgroup command. Probably that is considered "administrative", hence only administrators can add groups.

In my experience, users have very little freedom to affect the system. On my university's network, for example, students can't even change their backgrounds (except by using "set as wallpaper" from within a web browser). I doubt most sysadmins would want to give users the freedom to add system groups.

PS: since the topic has drifted as it has, maybe we should move/copy
   discussion to bug-hurd@gnu.org, or one of the other lists?

Well, this isn't a bug, we're sort tossing around permission scheme ideas that may be implemented in the Hurd some day, but are low-priority. Of course, this isn't Debian-specific. We could move to help-hurd@gnu.org?

-- Tom Hart
hartte13@brandonu.ca