Re: About the login shell

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 03:15:49AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> Do we have file permission bits for the unauthentificated user?

Yes.  And a bit to control if it should use those or the o bits.  Currently,
the default is to use the o bits, but we are not sure if we shouldn't change
that.  What you described is an option we have to consider.

> > Compare this with the other popular operating system, where you don't have a
> > login at all by default, you are just dropped into the one standard
> > desktop.
>
> such system that spawns rootshell directly is not really a good reference.. :)

But it shows that for a huge number of users, security at the console
directly is not an issue.  I am not sure I agree with them :)

The other problem with the login shell is that it time outs after 5 minutes
or so.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/