Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:36:35AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > But that does not go for the filesystem. Debian GNU/Hurd
> > will still be Debian; If GNU doesn't like that, then GNU must make
> > it's own Hurd-distribution, and not try to change Debian.
>
> I hope nobody forgets that I was a Debian member over a year before I got
> my GNU account.  You make it sound as if there is a hard line with Debian
> on the one side, and GNU on the other, but there is no such line.

Actually, I got that feeling from Jeroen's mails. That was the main reason
I sent this mail, not because I think or feel that the line is there.

After all, I'm not involved in the Hurd port in any way.

The way I understand Jeroen's mails is "GNU Coding standards are the way
to go; everything else is braindead". If that understanding is incorrect,
then forget everything I mailed on the subject; if not, then I feel you
(Jeroen) should implement GNU's coding standards somewhere else. Debian
has its own "Coding Standards", and they're different from what GNU
says. The Hurd port should implement Debian's policy wherever possible,
and issue policy amendments through proper channels where not instead of
saying that Debian's policy is braindead, and ignoring it.

Again, this is based on what I understood from Jeroen's mails, not on
anything else.

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas dot be

"Human knowledge belongs to the world"