Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 02:14:43PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> > > One has to prove they can follow the current standard, before attempting to
> > > change.
> >
> > Could you please give me the standard describing how to port Debian to
> > another operating system? I couldn't find it, but of course I'm just a
> > random fool and you're God, so you can probably give me the url.
>
> There is none, and you know it.  That has nothing to do with what I said.
>
> The current standard is how Debian functions.  hurd should be molded to fit
> Debian, not Debian molded to fit hurd.  Modifying Debian to work with hurd,
> means that *ALL* other ports of Debian need to be modified.  Is that what you
> really want?  Can you honestly suggest this course of action?

About what modifications are you talking?

> > > And, hurd has not even done that.
> >
> > Done what? Being compatible with Linux? That won't happen.
>
> Who said anything about Linux?   This is *Debian* you must be compatible with.

Debian is only GNU/Linux at the moment. Being compatible with Debian
thus means being compatible of GNU/Linux. Or do you mean something
else? If you don't say where you're talking about, I can only guess.

> I am not surprised that you attempt to misdirect this pointless thread with
> more pointlessness, by saying that this is an argument about hurd and Linux.

Thanks for giving me a good example about somebody who thinks the Hurd
is pointless.

> > > Once we see that they can fit in with the rest of Debian, then hurd will be
> > > given the credence it desires.  Until then, most requests will fall on deaf
> > > ears.
> >
> > I doubt the Hurd can fit i with the rest of Debian. We need a lot of
> > changes for that, especially in the attitude of the cabals, I don't
> > think that will ever happen.
>
> The hurd cabals, maybe.

Which Hurd cabals?

Jeroen Dekkers