Re: Long term progress, not perfection

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 12:30:49AM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> This sets up animosity between "people"s without constructive feedback.
> I feel comments like this hurt the efforts of those Hurd people who DO
> care to continue forward.  You and Jeroen, while certainly key
> developers and while you may be expressing common feelings, "and others"
> seems to speak for me, and I do not share your tactics.

If you read my post, I speak only for myself.

> General accusations and giving up hope don't change things.

I used to have some hope that Debian would change, I was already told
that this was almost impossible but I didn't want to believe it. No I
see that Debian won't change.

> What Debian ways are necessary to change?

A lot of things are already said a long time ago. People just simply
have given up. The dictators won't listen, so it's just waste of
time.

> If you want to confront people who you know are already hostile directly
> with unspecific arguments you should not expect wonderful results.

I don't expect anything at all anymore.

> You and Jeroen seem to have put a time frame to your expectations.  Why?

I want to see GNU released before 2005. That won't happen with Debian.

> This port has been a long term game.  As the software stabilizes the
> code will speak for itself.  Organizational change of any kind takes
> longer.  An organization of technical people - longer still.  A
> VOLUNTEER organization - longer still.  What do you really expect and why?

I expect people to cooperate instead of ignoring what other people
want. I can imagine that volunteers don't have the time to do
everything, but then they should allow other people to do the work.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org