Re: where do NEW packages go?

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 02:51:02PM +0200, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> A few weeks ago I uploaded new packes to ftp-master, i.e. horde2, turba and
> imp3. They were accepted into the archive but tagged as new. They still do
> not show up although the confirmation message I got say the override file
> will be edited about once a week.
>
> Are the long delays due to the upcoming woody release? I mean these are not
> exactly new packages, they are named differently to be able to work side by
> side to the older versions.

They are thrown in a black hole called bureaucracy. Somehow a few
people think they should have the power over whole Debian.

The Debian GNU/Hurd people are waiting weeks for dpkg and libc0.3 to
go into the archive. Somehow the ftp-masters think they know more
about the Hurd than the Debian GNU/Hurd people and think that they
should make the decision whether the new ABI is okay. There was a
ftp-master who complained when the Debian GNU/Hurd people started
uploading new packages because they were uninstallable then, because
of the dependency on libc0.3. Now the packages are still
uninstallable, thanks to same people first complaining!

And then people treat the Hurd port as 'wishlist' because it's
uninstallable anyhow.

If you read carefully, I say "the Debian GNU/Hurd people" instead of
"we". I have a reason for that, I don't consider myself part of that
team anymore. There happened a few things and I started thinking about
Debian. I came to the (IMHO) sad conclusion that I don't belong in
Debian and took the necessary steps for that decision.

Probably a lot of people knew this already and will only be happy with
this decision, but I will give my own reasons here in the case at
least one person wants to know it. I have a different opinion about a
lot of subjects, but you probably already have seen that on this
mailinglist or somewhere else. That doesn't really matter, I can
cooperate with people who have a different problem, but I can't work
in an organization which looks more like the former Sovjet Union than
some nice volunteer organization. It has the same characteristics as
the former SU: A small group of dictators who claim its a democracy,
fake elections and it isn't wise to tell that you have a different
opinion.

Of course it's not totally the same, that's why it's a
comparison. Instead of getting a bullet, you get flamed and everybody
(including the cabals) just ignore you and treat you as a fool. I
don't care about being treated as a fool, but I care that people who
want to improve Debian just get ignored and there is no way of
cooperation anymore.

So I decided not to join Debian. Note that this is just a personal
decision and that it is just my opinion, although some people share
that opinion at least partly.

Jeroen Dekkers,
who is marked insane because he disagrees with the Debian cabels.
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects
GNU supporter - http://www.gnu.org